I’ll say it again, lentils are awesome. The little discs cook up in a flash. They’re tasty, versatile and packed with nutrition. One serving has 17.9 grams of protein, 16 grams of fiber, 37% of the daily requirement of iron, yada, yada, yada …. AND they are cheap. Ridiculously cheap. Yesterday afternoon, Sarah phoned in on her way back from a little day trip to Wimberly. She and her four friends were planning to eat at home, and the recipe for a lentil feta casserole that she has sent to me earlier in the month from the Kaylyn’s Kitchen site sounded perfect for a car full of hungry gals, half of whom are vegetarians. Midway through cooking, Anna showed up with three friends and between the cornbread and the lentil stew, there was plenty for everyone. That’s what I’m talking about. Lentils.
I switched up the recipe quite a bit — cooking the lentils on the stove top instead of in the oven so that I could continue to chop vegetables while the lentils cooked, and I went for more of a stew than a casserole. The consensus among all the entire hungry and health-conscious crew: a definite hit.
- 16 oz. brown or green lentils, rinsed
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup peeled and chopped carrots
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 28 oz. can of chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1` Tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 8 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
- Heat olive oil in a large sauce pan or stock pot. Add minced garlic followed onions, carrots and celery. Cook at high heat for about 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add oregano, salt and pepper. Stir and cook for one more minute.
- Add lentils and cover with vegetable stock. Bring stock to a boil. Reduce heat and continue cooking for 20 minutes uncovered, adding an additional 2-3 cups of water as stock is absorbed.
- Add canned tomatoes, parsley, salt, pepper and oregano. Stir and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Combine red and green peppers along with red onion and feta. Remove from heat and stir.
- Serve warm with cornbread.