But I went ahead. Cut it in half, scraped out the seeds, brushed it with olive oil, sprinkled it with salt and roasted it at 350 for 30 minutes.
This dish was a bit of an on-the-fly creation with my friend, Jane — inspired by a conversation with Sarah a few days earlier concerning a canned pumpkin and bleu cheese sauce that she created. With a fresh pumpkin on hand, the time seemed right to take it up a notch.
The deliciousness of this dish did not come as a surprise. Butternut Squash with Parmesian and Pasta has been a favorite around here for a while. The surprise was the impact of bleu cheese. Roasted pumpkin and bleu cheese is a game-changing combination and it’s embarrassing to admit how much I’ve thought about it over the past 48 hours.
As for the rest of the CSA delivery: We whipped up a batch of Sweet Potato Cheddar Muffins to round out the beta carotene fest.
A few other attempts that proved to not yet be ready for prime time, but worth another try or two: Zucchini Fritters/pancakes and Indian Spiced Roasted Okra and Red Potatoes.
- One pie pumpkin
- One red onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 T olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup (or more) crumbled bleu cheese
- 12 oz. penne, rigatoni or other pasta
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cut pumpkin in half. Scrape out seeds. Brush lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Turn pumpkin halves pulp side down on a roasting pan, and cook for 30 minutes.
- Saute onions and garlic in remaining olive oil for about five minutes or until onions are soft.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.
- When pumpkin is cooked and slightly cooled, scrape pulp from skin and add to sautéed onions and garlic. Stir in stock along with salt and pepper. Whisk somewhat vigorously to incorporate the pumpkin and create a sauce. Add more stock to achieve desired consistency. Simmer covered for 5 minutes. Stir in pasta.
- Serve warm on four individual serving plates topped with sliced green onions and bleu cheese.