I often will add potato to blended soups to replace the cream. The result is some additional substance without the additional fat. A bit of celery also helps to take blended soups up a notch by adding subtle flavor and texture while remaining very much in the background.
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh ginger, minced
- 4 cups chopped and peeled carrots (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 medium potatoes – chopped
- 1/2 stick celery – chopped
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups fresh squeezed orange juice
- dash nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute onions and ginger in olive oil until soft, 3 – 5 minutes. Add carrots, potatoes, celery, cayenne, and vegetable broth, reduce heat to medium and cook about 40 minutes.
- Using a food processor or immersion blender, process soup until smooth.
- Return to pot or serving bowl and add nutmeg, salt and pepper, stirring well. Serve with a dollop of Greek yogurt if desired!