As a side dish, nothing brings out the best in carrots better than fresh ginger. And as a cake, nothing beats an excellent Carrot. So how about a little — no make that a lot — of fresh ginger in a carrot muffin that’s as good as cake and healthy enough to be called breakfast.
- 1 1/2 cups raw sugar
- 1 cup canola oil oil
- 3 extra-large eggs
- 2 Tbsp. grated ginger
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 3 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 1/2 cups grated or ground carrots
- 1 cup ground apples
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Beat sugar and oil until blended . Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Grate fresh ginger and mix well.
- Peel and rough chop 3-4 carrots. Puree in a food processor. Measure out 2 1/2 cups and add to wet ingredients. Peel, core and chop 1-2 tart apples. Puree in a food processor and stir into wet ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, sift flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Stir 1/3 of dry ingredients at a time into wet ingredients in batches of 3. Combine raisins and walnuts.
- Coat 24 muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray, or line with paper liners. Fill each 2/3 from the top with batter and bake for 30 minutes.