A brown rice base smothered in sauteed mushrooms and onions with a Moroccan spice twist, and a steamed egg on top.
Kind of like a hot fudge sundae for grown ups.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 3 cups water
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 medium onions sliced thin
- 1 lb sliced mushrooms
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 3-5 eggs
- Combine 1 cup brown rice, 1/2 tsp. salt and 3 cups water in a skillet. Bring to a rapid boil. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes or until the water is almost completely absorbed.
- Finely slice 3 medium onions and add to another skillet coated with 3 Tbsp. of olive oil. Saute on high heat for 5 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Add sliced mushrooms along with cinnamon, cumin, salt and pepper. Saute for another 3-4 minutes stirring frequently.
- Cover and simmer until rice is cooked.
- While there is still a small amount of liquid in the rice, distribute it evenly to cover the entire skillet. Cover with mushroom/onion mixture and spread evenly.
- Crack 4-5 eggs on top of the mushrooms. Lightly salt and pepper the eggs.
- Cover the skillet for 2 minutes to allow the steam to cook the eggs.
- Serve directly from the skillet.