Following my rant earlier this year about the awful canned beets from back in the day and my late-life discovery of the awesomeness of fresh beets, I later learned that a raw beet slaw can catapult this humble root vegetable into an entirely new dimension. It would be a crime to serve this slaw in anything but a clear, glass bowl. This game-changing combination is ridiculously healthy and delicious — in addition to being the most striking color combination ever.
- 2 cups ground or grated fresh beets
- 2 cups ground or grated fresh carrots
- 1/3 cup chopped green onion
- 1 cup finely chopped apple (about 2 medium)
- 1/3 cup orange vinaigrette
- Peel and chop 2-3 small beets. Add to a food processor and pulse until finely ground.
- Spread beets on the bottom of a serving bowl.
- Rinse remaining beets from the food processor and add 3-4 peeled, chopped carrots. Pulse until ground well and evenly spread a layer of carrots on top of ground beets.
- Chop apples and layer on top of carrots.
- Top with chopped green onions.
- Cover with orange vinaigrette.
- Serve room temperature or chilled.